Monday, March 14, 2011

A lot less of me and hoping to give more to this blog

So I just finished my first round of the HCG diet and it was a truly awesome experience. I feel better than I have in YEARS and I am 23 pounds lighter.

As awesome as it was, this diet is not for the weak - I struggled. There were days I felt physically sick as my body detoxed. There were days where I felt like I could not possibly get out of bed. But those days ended after a week. Once my body realized that I was ridding myself of the chemicals and preservatives I was eating, it seemed to express gratitude by releasing a lot of this weight (physical and emotional) that I have been holding onto. There are a million reasons to do this diet and a million reasons not to do it - only you can decide what is good for you.

People always ask me what I think about the diet, as it is very controversial. I honestly do not believe this diet is safe to do without medical supervision. It is very hard on your body, physically and emotionally and my naturopath was awesome. She provided the right amount of support and encouragement. She was GREAT! But there are some very strange things that happen to your body and I think that medical advice and guidance is key to making sure that 1. this diet is right for you by performing the necessary preliminary tests, so that you can be successful and 2. make sure that you are progressing in a healthy, positive way.

I also think that the mental changes are key. You cannot just do this diet to look better. You won't keep the weight off unless you deal with the mental and chemical issues that underpin the weight issues.

I would have never made it through this diet without two very important people.

First, Turkey. Turkey and I did the diet together and he was a ROCK. He not only stuck to protocol himself, but he talked me off of many ledges, constantly reassured me. I feel so incredibly loved, so beautiful, so complete because of him. This diet made us stronger as a couple because it forced us to bond in ways that did not involve food. We didn't go out with our friends and just took the time to be introspective of our relationship while we went through this journey together. I could not be prouder of him because of all the weight he lost (over 35 lbs) but I could not be prouder to call him my partner in love and life. So incredibly in love.

Second, the BossLady (you know who you are). She took the time to answer my frantic emails about food, talk me through the strange feelings and just brought an easy ear. She has no obligation to listen to me as I talk through these struggles, but her experience with this diet (and in life) is invaluable to me. She always asked me "How are you doing?" She didn't bring judgment to the table. She never does. That is an incredible quality that I want to emulate, not only in the personal arena, but also in the professional one. This diet completely wrecked me and some days, just hearing someone say, "That's okay" really turned it around. So incredibly grateful. She teaches me a lot about personal courage. Pretty awesome.

So, right now, I am in the processing of re-integrating food into my life in a controlled and unemotional way. This diet truly does change how a person thinks about food. I am an emotional eater and I was forced to confront that, sometimes daily. I have food sensitivities that I was never aware and eliminating or limiting those foods will helpfully let me continue to be living with less pain.

So will I do another round?? At this point, I am not sure. I am optimistic that I can maintain this new weight by eating right and getting back into the hot room. I am also excited to try some new classes (Sumits yoga and spinning).

Also, I think I will try to post some pics of the new me once the orange "vegas tan" tones down a bit;). So thanks for standing by people... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment